Saturday, July 25, 2009

JACK OFF JILL – My Cat / Swollen 7”










Rectum Records – Ft. Lauderdale (1994)

Robin Moulder – bass

Tenni Ah-Cha-Cha – drums

Michelle Inhell – guitar

Jessicka – vocals


Jack off Jill were always a joy to see live – they always sounded good, there was always a possibility of flying dildos or whatever, and are runner up of foulest mouthed female Florida band ever (winner is the Smegmettes, of course). I loved their “Children 5 and up” tape, but was a bit disappointed by this one. “My Cat (can eat a whole watermelon)” is kinda stupid – though it does include the line -“I’d fuck him if I could”. “Swollen” is the 90’s formula – mid-speed sweetly sung verse, followed by screaming, faster chorus – then repeat…I’m not sure if this record is produced by pre- or post- big deal Marilyn Manson, who helps give it a big-rock sound. That and fully competent playing keep this from sounding like most of the riot girl bands of the day. Jessicka now fronts Scarling out of L.A., who are quite good.



No comments:

Post a Comment